Thursday, May 19, 2011

Adelyn is TWO!

  Adelyn had an interesting birthday! We had her birthday party the Saturday before her birthday (May 7). It was a picture perfect day and we were blessed to have this gorgeous springtime weather! The party was from 10-12 and we served brunch (pancakes, waffles, fruit, bacon, donuts). We had three wafflemakers set up and guests could make their own waffles. This was so easy! After eating, the kids all played on Adelyn's new playset (which we finished the night before!). Then we opened presents and the party was done! This was the first time Adelyn really knew what presents were and how to open them (granted, they were all in gift bags). She had a wonderful time and we loved having everyone over!

  Her actual birthday(May 11) was a different story! The day started out normal- gymnastics, play on her playground, eat lunch...after lunch I noticed she felt a little warm. I didn't give her Tylenol or even take her temperature because she didn't feel THAT warm. Seth came home for lunch and also commented that she felt a little warm. Shortly after, I was sitting on a barstool and Adelyn tried to climb up. She missed the step and fell back, hitting her head on the kitchen tile. She was crying, so I scooped her up and tried to soothe her. Seth did the same. When he got her, he said "She's really warm". I took her temperature and it was 100.8. Right after that, Adelyn's whole demeanor changed and something was NOT right. Her face was a strange bluish-red color, she was hunched over and almost frozen, her eyes were glazed over, she was drooling and shaking, and she was totally unresponsive. I called 911 and they sent an ambulance. At first we thought she was choking. Seth had to pry her jaws open and then could barely get his finger back out. By the time the ambulance came (which was within 5 minutes), she was starting to come to (but slurring her words and still a little out of it). They took her to Children's Healthcare of Atlanta (Scottish Rite). I rode in the ambulance with Adelyn and Seth followed behind. We were seen pretty quickly by a doctor. I thought we were there for her hitting her head. The doctor determined that she had a febrile seizure (a harmless seizure brought on by a rapid increase in temperature). We were at the hospital for about 3 hours. CHOA is amazing, and I'm SO glad that they're starting a branch in Forsyth County. I can't say enough good things about the care we received. When they found out it was her birthday, they sent in a clown (complete with a ukulele and bubbles) and gave her stickers, a teddy bear, and a pillow. She also got a teddy bear in the ambulance (which she still talks about- and how neat it was to ride in the back in her carseat). The doctor tested her for strep and ear infection and she had neither. Her temperature at the hospital was 100.2. We think it was just a little cold virus and her temperature rose higher when she got upset from the fall. Our instructions basically included giving her Tylenol and Ibuprofen. She could have another febrile seizure, but they typically don't happen after she turns 5 or 6. These occur in 1 out of 25 children. I actually had one when before I turned one (and only one). It does run in families. We still went through with our travel plans the next day. The doctor said it was okay to still go to Virginia for Seth's race at VIR, and she was just fine. This seizure was honestly the scariest moment of my life. No one wants to see their beloved child in that state. We felt very helpless. I'm so thankful that it was nothing more serious (and that Seth was home when it occurred!). 

  On another note, we started Adelyn sleeping upstairs in her big girl bed (queen sized). She took two naps up there and then begged to sleep up there at night. It's now been 2 flawless nights. That was a pretty easy transition! I feel like she's far away (the stairs are on the other side of the house), but she has a gate at her bedroom door and another one at the top of the stairs, so I do feel that she's safe. She is so proud of herself! She even told the cashier at Kroger that she "went night night in her big girl bed upstairs". :)

Adelyn's playset (slide, ladder, playhouse, rock wall, and bridge)

Nana and Grandeddy with Adelyn
Grandpa and Grandma with Adelyn

Pancakes and Waffles (3 waffle makers and guests poured the batter) with all the fixings

fruit salad, bacon, blueberry muffins, donut holes

kids eating pancakes

opening presents

Adelyn at CHOA (sporting her Happy Birthday bow)

Of course, this happened during her nap time- sweet, sleepy girl

1 comment:

E said...

Oh my Resa! I am so glad she is ok. A friend of mine went through a similar scare back in December when her little girl was just about to turn one. I can't imagine the sheer terror that puts a Mommy through but I am just so happy that she is better and that she still got some fanfare on her actual birthday. Thank you so much for having us over, it really was a delightful party. Stay well, no more stress for you while you are pregnant, that is an order! Lol, bless you all!