Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent- this is not a recommendation!



Have you seen all the posts on Pinterest for homemade laundry detergent? Me too, so I thought I'd try it. The items pictured above are all you need: 
  • 1 (4 lb 12 oz) Box of Borax- Found in the detergent aisle
  • 1 (3 lb 7 oz) Box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda- Found in the detergent aisle
  • 2 (14.1 oz) Bars of Soap-I used Ivory for its clean scent, but I think just about any is fine
  • 1 (4 lb) Box of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda- Found in the cooking aisle 
All you have to do is grate the soap (in your food processor or by hand) and mix the ingredients. From what I read, you only need TWO tablespoons per load and you put it in your washer (not in the drawer...even if you have a front loader, which is what I have. Supposedly, it will clog your system). I have been still adding fabric softener in the drawer because I can't stand my clothes to not have fabric softener! I read all of these marvelous things about this detergent- how it will clean your washing machine, how 2 tablespoons is really all it takes, how clean your clothes are, how awesome it removes your stains, etc, etc, etc.

Maybe I did something wrong, but I am not impressed! My clothes feel and smell like all I did was put fabric softener on them and dry them. I decided to increase the amount of detergent to about 3/4 a cup. That seems to help a little. I have had to wash several things twice to get stains out and have never used my OxiClean more! In my opinion, this is not something I would repeat. Since I hate wasting anything, I will suck it up and use the rest of my detergent. It makes a lot and basically fills up the tub in the picture above. I had such high hopes. :(

No comments: