Thursday, December 17, 2015

Christmas Festivities

The Christmas season is upon us and in full swing. I feel like we're in the "sweet spot" with our kids... there is so much magic to experience. 

 On December 1st, Roseanne made her appearance along with the angel. While they ate breakfast, I read them the books that go along with it. Roseanne left a note asking them to go through their toys to donate to less fortunate children. Two weeks later we are STILL going through. :)
 That night, we decorated our new Christmas tree. We had our old one for years and every year more lights weren't working. We got the GE LED tree. You can set it on colored or white lights.... or have it blink back and forth, which is what we do. I thought that would be so tacky (and maybe it is!), but it makes us so happy. 
 The kids love egg nog! They say it's like pudding that you drink. 
 My first grader holding up her Daddy's ornament he made in first grade :)
 The kids rotate putting the angel on the top. This is Adelyn's year. 
 Cutie pie
We visited Santa. Adelyn wants a Barbie house and James wants Legoes
They got these minion masks afterwards

 One Friday night, I let the kids sleep under the Christmas tree. Adelyn went straight to sleep, but James was up until 10:00. He wasn't disruptive. Eveyrtime I would come in to check on him, he would just be staring at the tree and he'd say, "It's just so beautiful. I can't stop looking at it. I want to remember it". It was so very sweet. They slept until 7:15! This is in our dining room on hardwoods, so I made the palate as cozy as possible. I guess I did good!
 The next morning, we had Pancakes with Santa at church. They sat in Santa's lap. 
 And then enjoyed pancakes with all the fixings (powdered sugar, sprinkles, syrup). After that, they made ornaments. All the proceeds went to the youth group and the youth was in charge of most of it. I thought they did a phenomenal job!
That night, Seth and I attended a Christmas party in Athens. It's fun to get dressed up!

 The next weekend, my parents came in town. We spent all of Saturday morning making Christmas cookies.
 This has been such a fun tradition to do with my mom and the kids! We made chocolate chip cookies, peanutbutter kiss cookies, and gingerbread men. 
 Ho, ho, ho!
 Two peas in a pod
 Granddaddy even got in a little cookie action! 
 December 15th was James's Christmas program and party. Pre-K dressed in costumes.

James was the world's cutest Christmas tree. 
 Grandma came to the performance and party
 Love this boy!
 After they ate, they did a book exchange.
This is his gift for us. I have Adelyn's from when she was in Pre-K. LOVE
Adelyn's party was the next day. Her class had pizza and sides. Here she is with her friends from class. 
They decorated 2 sugar cookies with icing and sprinkles. 
 Next, they had a book swap and then played a minute to win it game. They had to make a pyramid with cups with their partner. 
 Go kids!

Little side story.... in the book swap, Adelyn got a Magic Treehouse book she'd recently read. She asked a friend if she wanted to trade and this little girl said, "I've wanted that book my entire life!". So sweet. Adelyn got a Judy Moody chapter book that she read on the way home and for a little bit as soon as we got home and finished it. My little reader! ;)
The day after her party, kids from K-4 met at a nursing home to sing carols. It was very sweet. I think the residents loved seeing the kids! James was with me and he couldn't wait to sing. But when we got there, he said he was "too shy". WHAT? This kid is never shy. Oh well. 



We have about a week until Christmas! Can't wait to celebrate this special season some more.  

No comments: